Friday, July 18, 2008

Eddie Vedder, the Nappy Roots and Ideas.

I once read a definition of creativity that changed the way I live.

That is a big sentence but I think the definition is worthy of bigness. Here is what an unnamed writer once said:

"Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye."

That is, being creative means you fill your head with millions of different ideas. You read magazines and watch movies and have long conversations and read bathroom walls and disclaimers on sneakers and stare at trees and listen to the logic of little kids and look at limericks and listen to songs from Sweden. You put everything into a jumbled, tangled collection of colors and words and shapes and sounds into your head.

And then you have the discipline to see the relationship between previously unrelated things. With your eye, you create new connections between different things that are not used to being connected. Like GI Joe characters and versions of the Bible or a scorecard and how much product worship leaders put in their hair.

That is what I try to do when I write and it starts with the gathering of ideas.

Here is a brief list of some of the things I will put in my head today:

The line, "The truth is generally seen, rarely heard" from the book, "The 48 Laws of Power."

The description of a writing journal called the "BBlessing" in the magazine, Men's Journal.

A video clip from the Onion titled, "Tiny dog has been barking non stop for six years." (Best line was that the dog "surpassed the previous record, which was 8 minutes.")

A few dozen magazines.

The song "Good Day" by the Nappy Roots.

Every conversation I had

The song "Clumsy" by Our Lady Peace.

The video I have posted below.

Lots and lots of other things.

And I don't know if I'll ever use any of them. Maybe in a month I'll do a post about how being happy is a decision sometimes (Nappy Roots) and when I am, my happiness is undeniable and raises more faith based conversations than all the Bible verses I sometimes force our coworkers (Law of Power) and that in the video, Elisa's lyrics feel spiritual but not as much as Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam when he sings what sounds like a confession to the father in the prodigal son story:

I swear I recognize your breath.
Memories, like fingerprints, are slowly raising.

Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former.

Or maybe I won't use any of it, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I've filled my head. There are more notes in my instrument, more ways to fill the page, more colors with which to paint.

So the first thing I suggest is that we all fill our heads with the pure and the beautiful and the interesting.

p.s. This is in response to the questions I get from people that are curious about "how I do what I do." I am by no means wise or tall, but this is what I do, so I thought I would share.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon-
OK, a) I cannot believe you are addding one more thing in your life! and b) that Onion website is insane. I hadn't heard of it, so went to check it out. I'm left kinda speechless. Who does that site and how are we suppposed to take all of it? (i am just asking because i don't know, not out of offense) It's kind of a crazy place that website.

Anonymous said...

Looks like this will be another great blog you write.

(not sure about THAT grammar. but I hope you know what I mean!)

Prodigal Jon said...

Anon -
Great question. A lot of people call the Christian site, Lark News, the "Christian Onion." It's a satire that's been around for maybe 15 years. I think there's lots we should not ingest on there, but the video I saw about the dog barking for 6 years straight is a lot cleaner than say "braveheart." Do I recommend the bulk of the content of the Onion? No. Did I want to be honest about how funny I thought that dog video was, which is completely G-rated? without a doubt.

christianne said...

[insert long sigh here] lovely. love it. loving it.

i wonder if that quote about the wild mind and disciplined eye came from natalie goldberg? she wrote a book called "wild mind" [at least, i think that's what it was called] about creativity in the writing process, and she is most famous for having written another book on the writing and creative process called "writing down the bones."

um, i still have lots of questions about how you do what you do. like, how do you possibly maintain five blogs, have a family, involve yourself in people's lives and church, and hold a full-time job? be honest . . . are you really five people?

ps: when i read this part . . .

That is, being creative means you fill your head with millions of different ideas. You read magazines and watch movies and have long conversations and read bathroom walls and disclaimers on sneakers and stare at trees and listen to the logic of little kids and look at limericks and listen to songs from Sweden. You put everything into a jumbled, tangled collection of colors and words and shapes and sounds into your head.

. . . i went all braveheart with a long, sustained "freedom!!!!"-like yell of "yeeessss!!!" :)

Glenna said...

Honestly, I really like the Onion stuff, but I agree, you gotta watch what you watch on it.

As for the blog, I completely agree wth you. I love putting 2 and together and coming up with different things, problem is, a lot of people look at me like I'm crazy when I try to connect the dots for them. That's actually what made me start a blog, I figured that way, I could put everything somewhere and didn't have to deal with the odd looks.

Keep doing what you do :)

Glenna said...

Oh, and hey Jon, I have a request. Would you put links to all your sites on all your sites? It'd be easier for all of us to get around that way :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jon for your response. I did see the dog clip. Yes, nuts!

I would love a site where you talk about creative things and share different pictures/links/videos/stories, etc. you find out there in the world that inspire you. Somehow you seem to have more than 24 hours in a day, so I guess you do have time for this site :)

i am a creative person who has lost her mojo (for various and sundries), and I value the resources and ideas of people like you.

Anyway, thanks for responding, and blog onward!

Adam said...

Great new site. And I loved the video clip. that girl can sing..
wow..

B-Rad said...

OK...I fell in love with the original P.J. site, went along for the ride with 97, and can't start my day without a check of SCL. Checked the jeans site and even read the first two chapters of the SCL book...BUT, your next entry on SCL has to be...BLOGS! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us.
P.S. - You (like me)have an affection for Rap music (partularly 90's)...give me your top 5 rappers and rap groups of all time (2 lists please), in order of skillz.

Prodigal Jon said...

B-rad -
great question. that's a tough one. I will need to think on that one. I know group wise I would include:
Public Enemy
Tribe Called Quest

But individuals? That's tough. I know he's a horrible influence and foul mouthed sweaty heathen, but as a writer I have to admit Eminem has a serious commmand of the English language.

Jon

Anonymous said...

Love that YouTube video. That girl is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

I feel like such a freak at times, it’s so nice to find someone else that thinks strangely also…
I see a 3 second blip in some Paula Abdul video and I instantly think…wow that would be cool to use in a worship element…
Or hear the song “handlebars” and see an entire dramatic movement piece for church…
It’s why I had to start blogging to download all those thoughts that were smashing around in my head, so eventually they could be turned into worship elements. My brain was getting full.
I don’t feel like such a freak. *grins*
p.s. I feel like Eminem is such a gifted artist…course I love my Philistines…

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the link thing. It would be sweet if you put links all over the place so we can find everything. Thanks!

http://angelajo1208.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

That is the best definition of creativity that I have ever heard/read. And explains what goes on in my head!